Today we would like to talk about Tomato Plants. There are so many different kinds of Tomato Plants, out there to choose from, we just don't know which one to plant.
My wife Marilou and I have tried a lot of different kinds of Tomato Plants, and the one that we think is the best one for us is the Big Boy Hybrid Tomato Plant, it has a lot of Big Red Tomatoes, and it is great for slicing for the dinner table, and they are sweet and delicious, so good on hamburgers or sandwiches, they are loved by a lot of people.
The Big Boy is a Hybrid tomato plant, which appeared in 1949 that is a very long time I guess because that is my birthday too,1949 hard to believe over 60-years old, so you see I will never forget the year the Hybrid Big Boy Tomato Plant appeared and it can have tomatoes that can weigh a pound or more, if given the right care, and it can grow up to 10 feet tall. My wife Marilou and I had 8-tomatoes plants this year that were over 8 1/2 feet tall, so many people has never seen a tomato plant that tall. You can see the pictures of our tomato plants on our blog. You too can have Big Tomato Plants if you give them the right attention.
Here are some very important things to keep in mind when you are planting Big Boy Tomato Plants.
1. You must have good rich soil, if your soil is not dark and rich looking, add some compost and some aged manure, add about 3 inches of compost and about 3 inches of aged manure, mix well down in to the soil about 8 to 9 inches. Here is a very good tip to remember if you go and talk to your local farmer he probably will be happy to give you all you will need, because they are happy to get rid of it. Just make sure you get the aged manure,the farmer will probably give you a pick-up load, the farmer near us took his tractor and put 3-scoops in the back of our pick-up and we had big load of the best organic natural fertilizer that money could buy for ( Free ).
2. Plant deep, 2/3 of the plant under the soil.
3. Water extra well after planting, after water has drained down in the soil, water your tomato plant again, this will close all the air pockets around your tomato plant. If you leave any air pockets around your tomato plant your plant could die, that is why you must water very well the first time.
4. You can add mulch to help hold the moisture in the soil, and by adding the mulch 3 inches it will help to keep the weeds out of your garden.
5. Full sun is the best, but you must have 7 to 8 hours of sun.
6. Fruit size: Large ( 16-32oz )
7. Maturity: 78 days after planting.
This year we had 8 Big Boy Tomato Plants that were over 8 1/2 Feet Tall and we had some Tomatoes that weigh a pound. And we had lots and lots of Tomatoes on every plant, most of our Tomatoes were a nice big medium size, but we did have some Big Ones too, and they all were so delicious. We gave a lot of Tomatoes away to family and close friends, and we put a lot of Tomatoes in the freezer for cooking this winter.
They are different Types of Big Boy Hybrid Tomato Plants, there is a Big Boy F1 Hybrid smaller version of the Big Boy, it is a Bush Big Boy, and it only grows 3 to 4 feet tall, when you are picking out the plants you want to plant, read the label to make sure are getting the one you want.