Good day to you all and welcome back here today on Garden The Easy Way, this is Ken and Marilou.
Today we would like to talk about Carrots, as we all know they are very good for us, they are high in Vitamin A, and high in fiber. You can prepare carrots in many different ways for the dinner table, soups, pot roast, salads, stew, carrot cake, just to name a few. The orange color makes the food look so much better, but when you taste the carrot your food will taste even better.
If you grow your own carrots you will even like the taste more, than store bought, home grown vegetables just also taste better. We will be happy to share with you all today, how easy it is to grow your own carrots, it is so easy but there are a few things to keep in mind.
Things You Will Need:
* Garden Tiller
* Garden Hoe
* Garden Rake
1. Plant in full sun and well drained soil.
2. Good soil is always important, if your soil need a little help, you can add some good dark rich top soil, or add some compost use your garden tiller mix it up well all together down to about 11 to 12 inches, pick up all the rocks and roots out of your garden. Take your garden rake and level the soil, now you are ready to plant.
3. Carrots grow best in temperature between 60 and 70 degrees F. but you can grow them all summer.
4. Use your garden hoe gently to make the rows or you can use your finger, make your rows planting depth 1/4 to 1/2 in deep. Spacing rows 15 inches apart, sow 3 seeds per inch in the rows. Cover seeds firmly with soil. Water after planting gently so you will not uncover the seeds.
5. When plants are 2 inches tall, thin to 2 inches apart in the row. For fresh carrots all season, plant every 3 weeks until 75 days before first fall frost. Add mulch it will help keep weeds out and the moisture in the soil.
6. Days To Harvest: 75 days
Well that's it for today, we hope to talk here again tomorrow on Garden The Easy Way, until then this is Ken & Marilou wishing you all Happy Gardening Always.