The tomato plant we would like to talk about today is ROMA Classic Paste Tomato Plant, it is a small plant only gets about 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall, but it has lots of beautiful small tomatoes. When planting the Roma Classic Paste Tomato Plant there some very important things to keep in mind.
1. We recommend to plant (Bonnie) plants if you can. Bonnie Plant and Seed Co. has been here since 1918. But there is a lot of good seed company out there just as good as Bonnie, we use the Bonnie brand because they are available were we shop.
2. Always work up your soil well before planting and if your soil does not look dark and rich, you may always add some compost and very important add some aged manure, add about 3 inches of compost and about 3 inches of aged manure, and mix up well go down it the soil about 8 to 9 inches is always best. Here is a money saving tip, you can get the manure from your local farmer probably for free, most farmers are happy to get rid of the manure.The farmer near us will use his tractor and load it for us, about 3-scoop with his tractor and we have a pick-up load, of the best all natural organic fertilizer money can buy and it is all ( Free ). Ask your nearby farmer. Make sure to get aged manure.
3. Plant in full sun 6 to 8 hours.
4. Always plant deep 2/3 of plant under the soil.
5. Spacing if planting more than 1-plant space 24 inches apart.
6. Always water extra well after planting, never let the soil dry completely out, after tomatoes come on your plants you may have to water everyday or two, depending on if you get any rain or how hot and dry the weather is. You can always check the soil, and this is something so simple but very important to remember, just stick your finger 2 to 3 inches under the soil, and if you feel moisture you are ok for that day.
7. Help to keep your soil from drying out you can add, 2-3 inches of mulch, also the mulch will help to keep the weeds out of your garden, mulch is very important to your garden.
8. Fruit size: Small (2oz).
9. Maturity: 73 to 80 days after planting.