Welcome here today with us, this is Ken and Marilou with you all on Garden The Easy Way.
Today we would like to talk about one of Americans favorite eating potatoes, it is the Russet Potatoes, they are so good eating. You can fry, bake, and we all love mashed potatoes and gravy, and they make good french fries and potato salad. They have thousands of recipes on way to cook with potatoes. People raise and love eating potatoes all over the world. They done a survey a few years ago and they said the average Americans eat about 125 lbs. of potatoes per person every year.
Potatoes are good for us, it is a vegetable. Potatoes are high in complex carbohydrates, and most varieties contain quite a lot of starch. The White Potato is a little less starchy variety. They are brown color on the outside and white on the inside.
Planting a garden in your backyard is so rewarding, you and your family will enjoy it so much. For some people it is a hobby but you feel so good when you and your family are together working in the garden and watching it grow. Picking your very own fruit and vegetables, feel so good. You will be happy if you put a garden for you and your family and it will save you a lot of money, it will be like getting all of your fruit and vegetables ( FREE ).
How To Grow Russet Potatoes
1. Cut seed in pieces from the Russet Potatoes, the seed is the little dark spot on the Russet Potatoes also called the eyes on the potato, cut each piece, with at least one eye on it two or three eyes is good on each cut, the piece you cut should be no bigger than chicken egg.
2. Prepare the planting bed by tilling the soil and mixing in 3 inches of aged manure and mix into the soil well. If you will take the time and go and see your local farmer he will probably give you all the manure you will need, most farmers are very kind people and they are always willing to help other people, the farmer just down the road from us is a dairy farmer and he and his family are so kind, when we take our pick up to there farm they get there big tractor out and give us three big scoops of manure, and now we have the best natural organic fertilizer money can buy for ( Free ). Go see your local farmer he will help you out, and they are glad to get rid of the manure. Very Important Make Sure You Ask For Aged Manure, if you tell the farmer you are putting it in your garden he will know what you need. Consider adding top soil if the area is mostly clay. Create rows for the potatoes that are at least 24 inches apart from one another.
3. Insert your finger or the handle of the shovel into the bed to make a hole that is about 2 inches deep. Place the seed piece and lightly cover with water. Space the holes 12 inches apart and water thoroughly.
4. Add more soil around the plants as they begin to sprout, sun exposure ruins potatoes so be sure to keep them buried throughout the growing season.
5. Keep adding more soil around the plants each week and water thoroughly to keep the temperature of the soil down.
6. Never let your soil go completely dry.
Things You'll Need:
Russet seed pieces
Fertilizer: Aged manure ( cow or horse )
Well that's it for today, we hope to talk here again tomorrow on Garden The Easy Way. Until then, this is Ken & Marilou wishing you all Happy Gardening Always.