Today we would like to talk about another good eating squash, the name of it is Straightneck Summer Squash, there are so many different ways of preparing the Straightneck Summer Squash for the dinner table, and hundreds of recipe. Summer squash produces thin skinned fruit, and does not store well. Summer squash is usually eaten without peeling the skin.
You will have a lot of people tell you, enjoy it while you can because after the summer is gone you will not have anymore until next summer, that does not have to be the case, you can freeze the squash or it can be canned. It is a little work but if you have the time it be worth it.
The Straightneck Summer Squash are so very easy to raise, but there are few things you need to know when planting.
1. Good garden soil will help you raise a lot of beautiful Straightneck Summer Squash. If your soil does not look dark in color it may need some help, just add some compost or mulch that will feed your garden and it will help keep the weeds out.
2. Plant in Full Sun: 6 to 8 hours is best.
3. Planting Depth: 1" inch under the soil, well tilled the soil after all danger of frost and cold weather has past and the soil has warmed up.
4. Row Spacing: you can plant in rows or hills, keep in mind if you plant in rows the summer squash grows on bush type plants that do not spread like the plants of fall and winter squash and pumpkin.You can plant in hills, make a raised hill put 4 to 5 seeds. in each hill, 1" inch under the soil. When the plants are 2 to 3 inches tall, thin to one vigorous plant or no more than two or three plants per hill.
5. Water well after planting, always remember squash love a lot of water, and they need a lot during growing season. Never let your soil dry completely out., if you don't get any rain, you might have to water everyday or two depending how hot and dry it is. You can always check your soil before watering, just stick your finger 2" inches under the soil, if you feel moisture you should be fine for 1 or 2 days. Very important never let your soil dry out, it will hurt your plant or kill it, squash got to have their water.
6. Days to Harvest: 45 to 50 days after planting, Straightneck Summer Squash grow so fast and they are so good eating.