Good day to you all and welcome back here today on Garden The Easy Way. This is Ken and Marilou.
We shared with you how you can plant and grow your very own Plum Trees and have lots of delicious Plum. Today we would like to share a very delicious treat with you how to make homemade Plum Jelly.
Homemade Plum Jelly is so much better than the store bought. Homemade is so delicious and it is so easy to make, and I promise you, everyone will want your home made recipe. ( ENJOY !!!)
Plum Jelly Homemade ( How To Make )
* 3 pounds of ripe plums
* 1/2 cup of water
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 7 1/2 cups sugar
* 1 package commercial pectin
* Large, non-aluminum pot with lid
* 4 to 6 Pint canning jars and lids
1. Cut the plums. Cut each plum fruit into eighths, and discard the pits. Make sure the plums are ripe, or they will not cook correctly.
2. Sterilizing the jars. Place the jars and lids into boiling water for 10 minutes. When done, leave the simmering water as you prepare the plum jelly.
3. Cook the plums. Place the plum slices, water, and lemon juice in a large stockpot. Bring to a over medium-high heat, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir occasionally until the fruit is soft. You should end up with about 4 1/2 cups of plum syrup. You want to pour it through a sieve or strainer get a smoother texture, but this is not necessary.
4. Add sugar. Now, stir in the sugar and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly to help sugar dissolve. Once it has dissolved, add the pectin. Continue to stir and boil for a minute, and then remove from the heat. Let the mixture rest for a minute, and then skim off any foam or top. This is an important step of the plum recipe.
5. Canning the jelly. Carefully remove the jars and lids from the simmering water. Pour even and of the jelly into each jar, leaving 1/4" to 1/8" of space at the top of each rim. Wipe the rims to ensure a good seal, and screw on the lids. Then, place in boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes so the jars will seal. Jelly recipes require the lids to be on securely.
6. Storage and serving. Remove the jars from the boiling water and let sit for several hours without disturbing them. Be careful when removing them, as they will be quite hot. Special jar-holding made for canning come in handy for this task. Once the jars have sat undisturbed for an hours check the seals. As long as the lids do not pop up when you press down in the center, they be sealed correctly and you can store them on a shelf that is cool and dry for up to a year. One may not seal correctly; store these jars in the refrigerator and use the jelly soon.
** Tips **
Plum jelly is a delicious treat for bread, crackers, or toast. You can also use it to top pancakes waffles. Easy to make, it is also an impressive gift. People who receive gifts like these always want a copy of the homemade jelly recipes so they can make the fruit recipes themselves.
Well that's it for today, we hope to talk here again on Garden The Easy Way. Until then, this is Ken & Marilou wishing you all Happy Gardening Always.